California has been at the forefront of the legalization of marijuana since the 70’s and in the 90’s was the first state to have cannabis dispensary laws for medical marijuana. Now finally in November of 2016 marijuana use is legal for both medical and recreational use for adults of the age of 21 and above. With this move, more and more legal dispensaries are popping up in Cali as well as it being a prime destination for a pot vacation! Before you go make sure you know the law as it comes to marijuana consumption, purchase and possession in California.
Understanding The Marijuana Laws In California
* We are not lawyers and this is not legal advice for a complete break down of California’s cannabis law you can visit California’s NORML site.
- You must be 21 years of age and have valid government ID or passport to purchase marijuana.
- You can possess up to 28.5 grams of cannabis flower as well as 8 grams of concentrate at one time.
- You can not possess marijuana on any federal land this includes federally any federal owned parks, museums, court houses, army bases and so on. Please check if you are visiting a park or any other place you are thinking of visiting and make sure it is not federally controlled.
- Cannabis can only be bought legally from a licensed dispensary. So do not buy from people selling privately on the streets. It is not required but bringing cash is a good idea since many dispensaries do not accept credit cards.
- You are not allowed to smoke pot in public. Consumption is only allowed in private residences or 420 friendly hotels and AirBNB’s. You can buy a vaporizer and smoke discreetly but do not be fooled it is not legal and you can get fined if your caught smoking in public. Also, any place that does not allow smoking of cigarettes will also not allow you to smoke pot.
- When driving with marijuana in the car you must keep it in a childproof container and it must be out of reach of the driver. It’s not legal to have an open package or container of marijuana on you period so if you open it consume it or toss it before getting in a vehicle. Also smoking cannabis in the vehicle is not allowed for the driver and all passengers.
- Do not cross state lines or attempt to get on a plane with cannabis on you.
Consumption Of Marijuana
- You are not allowed to smoke pot in public or any place where tobacco smoking is prohibited. Also be aware that you are not allowed to consume within 1000 yards of a youth center, daycare or school where children are present. The one loophole to this is if you are in a private residence that is within a 1000 yards of these then you are allowed to consume but only if the pot smoking is undetectable to the surrounding area.
- Consumption is only allowed in private residences or 420 friendly hotels and AirBNB’s. You can buy a vaporizer and smoke discreetly but do not be fooled it is not legal and you can get fined if your caught smoking.
- Your best choice is to find a hotel that allows cannabis consumption and there are many in the state these days. Finding a 420 friendly AirBNB is another great way to go.
- There is a move towards cafes and lounges much like what you would find in Amsterdam but they are not plentiful at this point. However, there are some and more coming which make for a great outing for a social affair when you want to enjoy some cannabis around like minded people.
- A discreet way to consume is by using edibles! It is still illegal to do so but using an edible is a very discreet way to consume on the go.
Finding A 420 Friendly Place To Stay In California
Finding a place to stay that will allow you to consume cannabis on the premises is pretty easy in this state. The easiest thing to do is do a Google search for ” 420 hotels in California” or hit AirBnB and search for a 420 friendly place to stay. Since this state has had some form of legalization for quite some time there is a greater acceptance of marijuana use than other states that are new to legalization.