Colorado being the first state to adopt full medical and recreational use of cannabis has many choices in where you can buy marijuana in the state. There are dispensaries thru out most of the state. The law allows for each city and county to choose for themselves if they want to allow dispensaries in their area. With this in mind, you will find some places are dry and others will have a plethora of choices for you to choose to buy your cannabis from legally.
Understanding The Marijuana Laws In Colorado
* We are not lawyers and this is not legal advice for a complete break down of Colorado cannabis law visit the state’s site
- You must be 21 years of age and have valid government ID or passport.
- You can purchase up to 1 ounce of marijuana and carry that on you. This can be in the form of flower or concentrates as well as edibles. However you can only purchase 1 oz per transaction in a dispensary and now concentrates as well as edibles are not looked that the same. So budtenders will have to do some math to get you to the max legally allowed. So 8 grams of concentrate is considered the same as 1oz of flower and 800mg of edibles is considered the same as 1oz of flower.
- It is only legal to buy marijuana from a dispensary. Do not purchase weed from anyone that is offering to sell to you on the street!
- Open Containers Of Cannabis – It is illegal for you to drive with an open container of marijuana in the passenger area of a vehicle so put anything open in the trunk.
- Federal Land – While marijuana is legal in Colorado it is not legal on any federal land. This means places like museums, national parks, courthouses and even some ski resorts that are on federal land. So before you decide to visit any place that you think could be federal check it out and make sure you don’t get caught up in a bad situation. Ignorance will not be an excuse so as you move around check and make sure you’re not visiting federal property.
- Do Not Cross State Lines – Do not cross state lines of attempt to take any marijuana you bought home with you! You will be violating federal law!
Consumption Of Marijuana
- While its perfectly legal to consume marijuana discretion is the key! You are not allowed to consume cannabis in public or you can get ticketed for doing so. Use discretion and use a vaporizer for one.
- Find a 420 friendly Air BNB or hotel that is the safest way to go.
- If you are using marijuana edibles then who is to know but if you really want to blaze up you need to find accommodations that are 420 friendly. Also, private cannabis clubs and lounges are starting to appear much like the cafes in Amsterdam.
- Do not smoke and drive! Colorado laws currently state that anything over 5 nanograms per milliliter of blood of THC in your system is considered impaired.
Looking for a place to stay that is 420 friendly.
Your best bet is to look at AirBNB or google 420 friendly hotels in the area you are thinking of visiting.
Since Colorado lets the counties and cities decide if they are on board with marijuana being sold in their jurisdiction here is a list of cities and counties that are 420 friendly. You don’t want to go on a pot vacation only to find out that the destination you decide on is dry!
Cities In Colorado You Can Buy Marijuana In
- Black Hawk
- Crested Butte
- Fort Collins
- Garden City
- Glenwood Springs
- Idaho Springs
- Log Lane Village
- Manitou Springs
- Oak Creek
- Red Cliff
- Steamboat Springs
- Wheat Ridge
Counties Where Cannabis Sales Is Allowed In CO
- Clear Creek
- San Juan
- San Miguel